You know some basic Croatian, enough to get you by, but there is nothing that will impress more than knowing a local phrase or slang that you can slip into a conversation. Croatia Week has launched its ‘Word / Phrase of the Day’, where we will teach you a variety of words and phrases commonly used in Croatia, but not commonly found in language learning material.
The phrase starom vuku mlado janje treba is one which refers to the need for a more mature man to have a younger women in his life. The literal translation is: An old wolf needs a young lamb.
Example: Conversation at the bingo halls. ‘Did you see old Neven with that women the other day, she must have been half his age, he could have been her father. – ‘That is fine, starom vuku mlado janje treba ‘.
– 05/02/2014 – živi kao bubreg u loju
– 03/02/2014 – Prošla baba s kolačima
– 30/01/2014 – Bog je prvo sebi bradu stvorio
– 29/01/2014 – Svakog gosta tri dana dosta
– 27/01/2014 – Pamet u glavu
– 23/01/2014 – Malo Sutra
– 21/01/2014 – Ja u kupe, a ti u špade
– 20/01/2014 – Di si bija kad je grmilo
– 17/01/2014 – Bogu iza nogu
– 16/01/2014 – Stara koka, dobra juha
– 15/01/2014 – Da ga nema trebalo bi ga izmisliti
– 14/01/2014 – Nit’ smrdi, nit’ mirise