You know some basic Croatian, enough to get you by, but there is nothing that will impress more than knowing a local phrase or slang that you can slip into a conversation. Croatia Week has launched its ‘Word / Phrase of the Day’, where we will teach you a variety of words and phrases commonly used in Croatia, but not commonly found in language learning material.
The phrase živi kao bubreg u loju basically means to live like a king – one who has the good life. The literal translation is: live like a kidney in fat (lard)
Example: ‘Did you see Jordan eating lobster and drinking champagne on his yacht with those young ladies? Yes, živi kao bubreg u loju.
– 03/02/2014 – Prošla baba s kolačima
– 30/01/2014 – Bog je prvo sebi bradu stvorio
– 29/01/2014 – Svakog gosta tri dana dosta
– 27/01/2014 – Pamet u glavu
– 23/01/2014 – Malo Sutra
– 21/01/2014 – Ja u kupe, a ti u špade
– 20/01/2014 – Di si bija kad je grmilo
– 17/01/2014 – Bogu iza nogu
– 16/01/2014 – Stara koka, dobra juha
– 15/01/2014 – Da ga nema trebalo bi ga izmisliti
– 14/01/2014 – Nit’ smrdi, nit’ mirise