You know some basic Croatian, enough to get you by, but there is nothing that will impress more than knowing a local phrase or slang that you can slip into a conversation. Croatia Week has launched its ‘Word / Phrase of the Day’, where we will teach you a variety of words and phrases commonly used in Croatia, but not commonly found in language learning material.
“malo sutra” is a common phrase used in Croatia and basically is the equivalent of the english term ‘that ‘ill be the day’ or ‘in your dreams’. The literal translation of the phrase is actually – a bit, little (malo) tomorrow (sutra).
Example: ‘Joze, will you be able to lend me $100 till the end of the week?’…‘Malo sutra’…
– 21/01/2014 – Ja u kupe, a ti u špade
– 20/01/2014 – Di si bija kad je grmilo
– 17/01/2014 – bogu iza nogu
– 16/01/2014 – stara koka, dobra juha
– 15/01/2014 – da ga nema trebalo bi ga izmisliti
– 14/01/2014 – nit’ smrdi, nit’ mirise
If you have a candidate for ‘Word / Phrase of the Day’, then submit them to [email protected] to be published.