Learning Croatian – Phrase of the Day
- by croatiaweek
- in Entertainment
You know some basic Croatian, enough to get you by, but there is nothing that will impress more than knowing a local phrase or slang that you can slip into a conversation. Croatia Week has launched its ‘Word / Phrase of the Day’, where we will teach you a variety of words and phrases commonly used in Croatia, but not commonly found in language learning material.
Tresla se brda, rodio se miš
The phrase Tresla se brda, rodio se miš basically is the Croatian equivalent of ‘making a mountain out of a molehill’, ‘storm in a tea cup’, or someone making a lot of noise for a minor issue. The literal translation is – hills were shaking, a mouse was born.
– 10/02/2014 – U laži su kratke noge
– 05/02/2014 – Živi kao bubreg u loju
– 03/02/2014 – Prošla baba s kolačima
– 30/01/2014 – Bog je prvo sebi bradu stvorio
– 29/01/2014 – Svakog gosta tri dana dosta
– 27/01/2014 – Pamet u glavu
– 23/01/2014 – Malo Sutra
– 21/01/2014 – Ja u kupe, a ti u špade
– 20/01/2014 – Di si bija kad je grmilo
– 17/01/2014 – Bogu iza nogu
– 16/01/2014 – Stara koka, dobra juha
– 15/01/2014 – Da ga nema trebalo bi ga izmisliti
– 14/01/2014 – Nit’ smrdi, nit’ mirise
If you have a candidate for ‘Word / Phrase of the Day’, then submit them to [email protected] to be published.