Croatia Week and Fini Recepti bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Kroštule – a traditional Dalmatian pastry, are great to whip up any time of the year – especially over Christmas.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- Flour- 200 g
- Sugar – 50 g
- Egg yolks – 3
- Oil – 1 dl
- Rakija – 1 dl
- Milk – 150 ml
- Lemon – 1/2 skin
- Oil – 500 ml for frying
- Icing sugar – 100 g
- Salt – 1 pinch
- In a bowl mix together the egg yolks, sugar, milk, oil, rakija, pinch of salt and grated lemon skin
- Add flour then to the mixture, mixing well with a spatcula. Take the mixture onto a floured board and mix with your hands till its semi hard
- With a rolling pin roll out the dough to 5 mm rectangular sheets. With a pastry wheel cut out strips 10 x 3 cm in size. With a little knife cut a little part in the centr and through the opening pull the other end of the pastry through
- Fry until golden in colour
- Once done take out and sprinkle some icing sugar on top
Check out the video instructions below:
Check the original recipe (in Croatian) here.
Previous recipes in English: