Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Croatia Week has teamed up with the crew at Fini Recepti to bring you those recipes in English. We will feature the recipes, everything from simple, quick everyday meals, to complicated festive delicacies, cakes and jams, twice weekly on our site.
Ingredients (to serve 6 people)
- Puff pastry – 250 g
- Eggs – 6
- Vanilla sugar – 7 g
- Vanilla pudding – 1 packet
- Corn starch – 3 tablespoons
- Flour – 3 tablespoons
- Sugar – 8 tablespoons
- Icing sugar – 50 g
- Milk – 1 litre
- Divide the puff pastry, which should be at room temperature, into two equal parts. Roll both parts on a floured board to the size tin you will use for the Kremšnita
- Both halves , one at a time, put in the oven at 220 °C and cook both sides until golden
- In two separate bowls separate the whites from the yolks of the eggs. In the bowl with the egg yolks pour 200 ml of milk, stir well with a whisk and add in order the other ingredients (pudding powder, corn starch, sifted flour, vanilla sugar and plain sugar) stirring constantly and making sure no lumps remain
- Heat up in a pot 8 dl of milk, keep stirring whilst adding in the prepared mixture (above). Continue to keep stirring and cook a few minutes or until it thickens. Remove from heat
- Now beat the egg whites then add to the hot cream mixture and fold in
- Lay one of the puff pastry sheets into a dish. With the second puff pastry sheet cut it into the size you want the Kremšnita to be
- Pour the cream mixture over the puff pastry and spread evenly. On top place the cut puff pastry. Let it cool at room temperature and coat the top with icing sugar and serveDobar tek!
Check out the video instructions below:
Check the original recipe (in Croatian) here.
Previous recipes in English: