Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Croatia Week has teamed up with the crew at Fini Recepti to bring you those recipes in English. We will feature the recipes, everything from simple, quick everyday meals, to complicated festive delicacies, cakes and jams, twice weekly on our site.
Brudet od bakalara (Cod stew)
Brudet od bakalara is a very popular Christmas holiday season dish, altough this rich, tasty dish is also made all-year round. There are different variations, but here one great tasty version.
Cod – 500 g
Potatoes – 1kg (new)
Onions – 4
Peeled tomatoes – 1 can (without juice)
Garlic – 4 cloves
White wine – 100 ml
Prošek (Prosecco) – 30 ml
Bay leaf – 1
1. In olive oil, fry the onions until soft. Add the cod, which has been chopped into pieces, and fry until the fish stops releasing water
2. In another pot with some olive oil add the potatoes (peeled and cut into ), the cooked cod and onions, and peeled tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, garlic, freshly chopped parsley and pour over 1 dl of olive oil
3. Add the wine, prošek (prosecco), and enough water to cover all the ingredients in the pot
4. Cook on a low heat until the potatoes soften and cook (around 30 minutes)
5. Let it sit at least for 1 hour then heat slightly before serving
Watch the video instructions below:
You can check out the original recipe in Croatian here