Kremšnita, sometimes called Krempita, is a custard cream slice with a puff pastry base and topped with icing sugar.
Samobor, located around 25 km outside of the city centre of Zagreb, is renowned for having the best kremšnita in the country. People will travel there just to try them.
Zagreb Kremšnita, however, is slightly different. They are not finished with icing sugar but have a layer of chocolate.
Check out the recipe below by Cro Chef:
Puff pastry – 250 g
Eggs – 10
Flour – 250 g
Cornstarch – 20 g
Vanilla sugar – 40 g
Sugar – 370 g
Cream – 750 ml
Milk – 2 litres
Cooking chocolate – 200 g
Butter – 150 g
1. Roll out on a floured board the puff pastry to the size tin you will use for the Kremšnita
2. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes at 180°C
3. Pour milk in a pot
4. Separate the egg whites and yolks. Now beat the egg whites
5. Add 350 g of sugar and 40 g of sugar to the egg yolks and beat – add flour slowly and mix in the cornflour and then add slowly to the milk heating in a pot till you get custard
6. Take off the stove and add egg whites and mix in
7. Pour over pastry
8. Add 40 g of sugar to 750 ml of cream and whip to get cream then spread over the custard
9. Melt 150 g of butter and 200 g of cooking chocolate over a pot of boiling water
10. Spread chocolate on top of the cream and place in the fridge
Cut into squares and enjoy!
Check out the video instructions below.