Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking. Čatlak’s show, which guides viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-minute clip, was broadcast on state broadcaster Croatian radiotelevision (HRT) for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos, and now the TV chef has decided to publish all of his recipes on portal finirecepti.com.
Croatia Week has teamed up with the crew at Fini Recepti to bring you those recipes in English. We will feature the recipes, everything from simple, quick everyday meals, to complicated festive delicacies, cakes and jams, twice weekly on our site.
Fritule s jabukama (small donuts with apple)
Ingredients you will need (to serve 4)
- Eggs – 3
- Apple – 1
- Lemon – 1
- Sugar – 80 g
- Vanilla sugar – 10 g
- Milk – 170 ml
- Butter – 60 g
- Run – 30 ml
- Flour – 250 g
- Baking powder – 12 g
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Crystal sugar – 150 g (for coating donuts)
- Oil for frying
- Separate the egg whites and yolk, peel the apple and grate them, then pour lemon juice on them so they don’t oxidize
- In a bowl with the egg yolk add 1/3 of the crystal sugar and vanilla sugar and beat until smooth and creamy
- In another bow whisk the egg whites until they start to ‘foam’. Then add the rest of the crystal sugar and keep beating until it is compact
- In the bowl with the egg yolks add the butter (softened) and mix it well until smooth. Then add the milk and rum and keep mixing
- Slowly then add the flour (through a sieve) and baking powder to the mixture whilst mixing
- Add all the grated apple to the mixture and the egg white mixture and mix well
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes at least
- With a spoon make the donut shape and deep fry in oil until they turn brown
- Place on paper to drain the oil and roll in crystal sugar and cinnamon powder before serving
Watch the video below for instructions.
Check the original recipe (in Croatian) here.
Previous recipes in English: