Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Sinjski arambašići is a traditional dish from Sinj, and is on the list of protected intangible cultural heritage of the Croatian Ministry of Culture. It is a Dalmatian version of sarma.
Beef – 600 g (neck)
Veal – 200 g
Pork – 200 g
Bacon – 150 g (smoked)
Onion – 2
Garlic – 4 cloves
Parsley – 2 teaspoons chopped
Nutmeg – 1 pinch
Cinnamon – 1 pinch
Lemon – 1
Pork rack – 200 g
Dried sausage – 200 g
Sour cabbage – 1 kg
Clove – 2-3
Bay leaf – 2
1. Dice the beef, veal and pork and place in bowl.
2. Add chopped onion, garlic, parsley, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon zest, salt, pepper and mix together. Cover and let rest for about an hour.
3. Separate the leaves of sour cabbage (cut off the thick root at the bottom of the leaves so it is easier to roll).
4. In each leaf put about 1 heaped tablespoon of the meat mixture in. Roll and tuck in the ends so the filling does not come out.
5. At the bottom of the pot you will use to cook them cover with sour cabbage leaves and some chopped sour cabbage.
6. Place the meat rolls on top and add the dried meats around it. Add some more chopped sour cabbage on top, add some cloves, bay leaf, and add enough water to cover all. Cover and cook in oven for 2 and a half hours on 200°C.
You can check out the video instructions below:
The original recipe in Croatian is here