Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Savijača od višanja – Cherry strudel
Ingredients (serves 8):
Cherries – 1.5 kg
Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
Vanilla sugar – 1 packet
Brown sugar – 300 g
Breadcrumbs – 50 g
Oil – 150 ml
Milk – 150 ml
1. Wash the cherries and take out the pips. Place them in a bowl and add the icing sugar, vanilla sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon and carefully mix.
2. In another bowl mix oil and milk and then brush the filo pastry with the mixture.
3. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the mixture on the pastry then add the cherries.
4. Roll the pastry (2 sheets thick) into the strudel shape. If pastry is thick then only 1 layer needed.
5. Place in a greased tray and again brush the pastry with the oil and milk mixture.
6. Place in heated oven for 25-30 minutes on 180°C.
7. Once ready let it cool and sprinkle with icing sugar on top.
Check out a video of the instructions below:
You can see the original recipe in Croatian here