Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Krafne s marmeladom (donuts with apricot jam)
It’s coming up to carnival time in Croatia which means time for krafne. These donuts are however are not just a favourite during carnival, but all year round. Jam, chocolate, or vanilla – the filing can be whatever tickles your fancy. This recipe is with apricot jam.
Flour – 600 g
Yeast – 50 g
Sugar – 2 tablespoons
Butter – 150 g
Milk – 1 tenth of a litre
Egg – 1
Egg yolk – 3
Lemon – 1/2 grated skin
1. First crush the butter into the flour with your hands. Add sugar, grate lemon skin in, add one egg and 3 egg yolks, yeast mixture (which is a mix of a tablespoon of flour, yeast, 1 tenth of litre of warm milk and sugar – leave mixture for 20 minutes to rise).
2. Using a mixer stir and add milk at the same time. Add salt then more milk and keep mixing.
3. Sprinkle flour on a bench or board and then roll mixture to a thickness of 1 cm.
4. With a mould cut into circles (you can use a bowl).
5. On half of the cut circles put a tablespoon of jam. With the other halves that have nothing on place on top like a sandwich.
6. With a smaller bowl or cup cut again so that the mixture joins and the jam can not escape.
7. Sprinkle flour on top of the donuts, place a tea towel on top and leave for around 45 minutes so they can rise further.
8. In a pot with hot oil deep fry the donuts, making sure that the top side is first in the pot. Turn once golden brown and fry bottom side. Cover whilst cooking.
9. Once done sprinkle with icing sugar.
Some tips: make sure that no ingredients, or the space you are working in, is cold. That will prevent the donuts from rising.
Check out the video instructions below:
You can see the original recipe in Croatian here