Vanilla flavored kiflice are small soft biscuits which are usually made over Christmas in Croatia. Made using walnuts, they are usually eaten at the end of a meal or with an afternoon tea or coffee. Although traditionally made over Christmas there is no reason not to whip up a batch anytime of the year.
Here is a simple recipe to make your own at home courtesy of Fini Recepti.
Flour – 250 g
Butter – 200 g
Walnuts (ground) – 100g
Vanilla sugar – 70 g
Egg white – 1
1. In a bowl put the flour then add the ground walnuts, vanilla sugar, 1 egg white and the butter (add touch of water if need be)
2. With your hands mix together, try to do it quickly as warm hands will help melt the butter
3. Once it is mixed then shape it into an elongated ball and cut into 4 even pieces
4. Each piece roll into a sausage shape and then cut into 2cm wide pieces – then with each piece shape them into a kiflice
5. Place the kiflice on baking paper (sprinkled with flour)
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 150°C
7. Take them out and plate them – sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!
Check out the video instructions below: