Croatia Week and Fini Recepti bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Zagorski Štrukli with Walnuts
Walnuts – 300 g
Cottage cheese – 300 g
Raisins – 50 g
Flour – 350 g
Eggs – 2
Milk – 150 ml
Sugar – 4 tablespoons
Vanilla sugar – 1 pack
Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
Honey – 1 tablespoon
Sour cream – 1 dl
Cream – 3 dl
Butter – 100 g
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt – 1 pinch
1. To make the dough mix the flour, egg, oil, salt, warm water. One it is mixed into dough drizzle with oil so it does not dry whilst resting. Leave for 30 minutes.
2. Put the milk into a hot pan, add 2 tablespoons of sugar, raisins, cinnamon, honey and walnuts. Cook a bit then leave to side to cool.
3. In a separate bowl mix the cottage cheese, an egg, sour cream, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add then to the walnut and milk mixture (cooled).
4. On a cloth sprinkled with flour stretch out the dough – thin enough just so it does not break.
5. Add the mixture onto the first row of the stretched out dough (as per video) in 10 cm lots then roll the cloth going away from yourself. Once rolled then cut into the Štrukli shapes and place in dish which has melted butter in it.
6. Pour cream over and let bake for 45 minutes on 200°C. Once ready sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon and serve.