Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Croatia Week has teamed up with the crew at Fini Recepti to bring you those recipes in English. We will feature the recipes, everything from simple, quick everyday meals, to complicated festive delicacies, cakes and jams, twice weekly on our site.
Rožata is a custard pudding originating from the Dubrovnik region, similar to flan and crème brûlée. There are a number of modern versions to the popular dessert. Here is one to enjoy:
- Eggs – 7 whole
- Egg yolks – 2
- Milk – 1 l
- Sugar – 500 g
- Vanilla sugar
- Lemon peel- 1/2 lemon
- In a pot put the milk, 300 g sugar, vanilla sugar, lemon peel and bring to boil. Remove and let it cool.
- In another bowl whisk 7 whole eggs and 2 yolks and then add the cooled mix.
- In a pan caramelize the sugar and pour evenly into the tin you will cook the rožata in. Let it cool so the sugar sticks to the tin.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Put in the oven and cook on 220°C for around 20 minutes.
- Remove the rožata from the oven and put the rožata in its cake tin into a larger bowl with water. Put back in the over for another 20 minutes.
- Once it has cooled at room temperature put in the fridge for at least two hours.
- You can cream and decorate with caramelized sugar on top to add your own touch.
- Dobar tek!
Watch the video instructions below:
You can see the original recipe in Croatian here