Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Croatia Week has teamed up with the crew at Fini Recepti to bring you those recipes in English. We will feature the recipes, everything from simple, quick everyday meals, to complicated festive delicacies, cakes and jams, twice weekly on our site.
Found on menus in the region in various ways, punjena paprika, or stuffed peppers, are now a traditional Croatian dish. Best served with mashed potatoes and a glass of wine. Enjoy.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- Paprika – 4 large, fresh
- Minced meat – 500 g mixed (pork/beef)
- Rice – 1 teaspoon
- Egg – 1
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Parsley – 1 teaspoon chopped
- Tomato puree – 700 ml
- Bay leaf – 1
- Wash the peppers and with a knife cut out the stem at the top and then remove the seeds inside – leaving a hole at the top of the peppers to put the minced meat inside – make sure the hole is not too big so the filling stays in better
- In a bowl mix together the egg, washed rice, chopped onions, garlic, and parsley. Add the minced meat, season with salt and pepper and mix with hands. Stuff the mixture inside the cleaned peppers
- In a pot fry in some olive oil two tablespoons of flour until light brown, add the tomato puree, water, salt, pepper, bay leaf and let it boil.
- Then add the stuffed peppers, add more water and cover and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes. Ready to serve
- Mashed potatoes and a glass of Merlot recommended with this dish. Dobar tek.Check out the video recipe below:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=241&v=yqFFfNnHAOUCheck the original recipe (in Croatian) here.