Medenjaci are a type of gingerbread biscuit and like most little treats are especially popular around the festive season. Check out this heart-shaped recipe which includes white chocolate for a tasty decorative effect.
Plain flour – 300 g
Honey – 260 g
White chocolate – 150 g
Butter – 100 g
Cocoa powder – 2 teaspoons
Nutmeg – 1/2 teaspoon
Corn flour (not corn starch) – 60 g
Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
Milk – 30 ml
Gingerbread spice mix – 1 teaspoon
1. Sift the flour into a bowl, then sift in the corn flour, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, mix of spices for gingerbread and stir all the ingredients together with a whisk.
2. In a pot put in the butter, some milk and honey and cook on a low heat whilst regularly mixing. After 2-3 minutes of cooking add to the mixture and mix together.
3. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover on top with baking paper and roll out the dough to a thickness of 5 millimeters.
4. Remove the paper and with a heart-shaped mould cut out the shapes. Remove the excess dough carefully.
5. Place the heart-shaped medenjaci on baking paper on a tray.
6. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven at 180°C.
7. While they are cooling melt down the white chocolate. Dip half of the medenjaci into the melted white chocolate and place on a rack.
Check out the video recipe below:
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Sarma
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Goveđa Juha (Beef Soup)
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Medenjaci
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Soparnik
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Octopus Under the Lid Alternative
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Soparnik – Dalmatian Swiss Chard Pizza Pie
- Croatian Recipes: Octopus Salad