ZAGREB, Aug 26 (Hina) – Head of the national COVID-19 management team and Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic said on Wednesday that the new measures for Split-Dalmatia County, announced by the county’s team, would come into force at midnight.
“Split-Dalmatia County has decided to make wearing masks mandatory in bars and restaurants before consuming drinks and food, the number of people at weddings will be limited to 50, wakes are banned, and owners of restaurants are obliged to supervise their facilities more closely. Also, gyms will close, and sports competitions can take place but without spectators,” Bozinovic said.
Broken down by counties, the number of new cases of the infection is the highest in Split-Dalmatia County – 136, followed by the City of Zagreb (58), Sibenik-Knin County (33), Primorje-Gorski Kotar County (20), Zagreb County (19), Zadar County (15), Varazdin County (11), Brod-Posavina County (11), while other counties have recorded fewer than 10 new cases.
Asked whether the national COVID-19 response team was considering a complete closure of Split-Dalmatia County, Bozinovic said that was not the case.
“We are not considering that this is the only way to avoid that, and I am convinced there will not be any lockdown. We are keeping the situation under control this way,” he said.
Asked about the possibility of the spike in number due to the recent Feast of the Assumption, Bozinovic said that they had assigned local teams to conduct epidemiological surveillance, and they believe the prescribed measures had been implemented.
“Split-Dalmatia County is a hotspot and new measures are being taken there. We will have meetings with others on Thursday, so it is possible that some new measures may be introduced then in some counties,” Bozinovic said.
Asked why gyms were closing in Split-Dalmatia County while bars remained open and Masses were allowed, Bozinovic said that the new measures would be in place for 14 days.
He underscored that measures could be dropped or extended. Fines for violating the measures are also possible, he added.
“There is always the possibility of penalising. We hope there will be no need for that because our intention is that as many people as possible accept the recommendations by the Croatian Public Health Institute. The point is for people to follow the recommendations because then we will achieve the main goal, to reduce the number of new infections and control the situation,” he said.
In the last 24 hours, there have been 358 cases of infection with coronavirus in Croatia. There are 2,352 active cases and Health Minister Vili Beros informed a news conference that 184 COVID patients were currently being treated in hospitals, which is 7.4% of all active cases, and 10 of those patients are now on ventilators.
In the last 24 hours, 26 new patients have been admitted to hospital, while 19 have been discharged.
Also, 7,993 people are now in self-isolation.
Croatia’s COVID-related death toll stands at 175, and a total of 6,362 have recovered.
Thus, since the onset of the epidemic on 25 February, 8,889 people in Croatia have been diagnosed with this infectious disease, and 157,387 people have been tested for it.