Home » Business » Largest Fisheries Industry Investment In Croatia’s History Opens its Doors on Brac

Largest Fisheries Industry Investment In Croatia’s History Opens its Doors on Brac

sardina_postiraThe largest single investment into the fisheries industry in Croatia since the country gained independence in the early 90’s opened on the Dalmatian island of Brac yesterday.

Canned fish producer Sardina opened its new 15,000 square metre factory on Friday in Postira on the island of Brac, an investment worth over 30 million euros. The Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development (HBOR) reportedly funded 70% of the project, with the remaining 30% coming from Sardina. Croatia’s Agriculture Minister Tihomir Jakovina was on hand in Postira to officially open the factory, where he stressed the importance of the fisheries industry to Croatia’s economy. Jakovina, who confirmed that the investment was the largest in the industry since the country’s independence, said that now Croatia has become a member of the EU, around 40 million euro from fishing funds would be available from 2014 to 2020, and around 333 million euro a year from rural development funds.

Sardina Sardines

Sardina Sardines

With the new factory opening, Sardina hope to employ another 100 staff to bring the number of employees up to 330. Sardina currently exports around 70% of its 17 million cans of fish it produces annually, and plan to increase production to around 40 million cans per year with the new factory. The 106-year-old company also is engaged in fish farming and is working on new products such as fish pates and frozen fish packets. The new plants freezing capacity is 150 tonnes of fish per day, and has storage capacity for 4,000 tonnes of frozen fish.

Share on:
0 / 5 (0 votes)

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts

18,000 km Travel from New Zealand to Play a Rugby Match for Croatia

It is always a special moment to be selected to play your first international, and nothing would stand in the way of Joshua Brajkovic and Marin Altamirano in putting on the red and white checkers and representing Croatia at rugby for the first time – not even 18,000 km. Brajkovic, from New Zealand, and Altamirano...

Sting’s Son to Join Him for Croatia Concert

Tickets are selling fast for the one-off concert by popular English singer Sting at Pula Arena on Croatia’s Istrian peninsula this summer. Following the recent release of Sting’s highly-anticipated rock/pop album 57th & 9th and with sold out concerts already confirmed in North America and Europe, Sting will perform in the unique Pula Arena, on...

[PHOTOS] Soparnik: Traditional Croatian Specialty

Poljički Soparnik, or known just as Soparnik, is one of Croatia’s true authentic traditional dishes. Soparnik is a savoury pie made with finely ground wheat flour with a filling of Swiss chard. Its origins, centuries ago, are from modern-day Omiš and the surrounding areas which were once part of the Poljica Republic in the late...

Big National Pršut Fair Set to be Hosted in Sinj

The best pršut producers in the country will gather once again in the inland Dalmatian town of Sinj for the 12th National Pršut and Cured Meat fair. The fair, which is one of the biggest in the region, will be held this year from 8-9 April in Sinj in the Split-Dalmatia County. For the 12th...