Fritule, or little Croatian doughnuts as foreigners like to call them, are a popular sweet in Croatia, especially over the Christmas period.
They are easy to make and there are a number of different twists to the recipe. Some people like to add apples, some like to add raisins and some people like to coat them in chocolate sauce.
Check out this fritule with apple recipe.
Eggs – 3
Apple – 1
Lemon – 1
Sugar – 80 g
Vanilla sugar – 10 g
Milk – 170 ml
Butter – 60 g
Rum – 30 ml
Flour – 250 g
Baking powder – 12 g
Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
Crystal sugar – 150 g (for coating donuts)
1. Separate the egg whites and yolk, peel the apple and grate them, then pour lemon juice on them so they don’t oxidize
2. In a bowl with the egg yolk add 1/3 of the crystal sugar and vanilla sugar and beat until smooth and creamy
3. In another bowl whisk the egg whites until they start to ‘foam’. Then add the rest of the crystal sugar and keep beating until it is compact
4. In the bowl with the egg yolks add the butter (softened) and mix it well until smooth. Then add the milk and rum and keep mixing
5. Slowly then add the flour (through a sieve) and baking powder to the mixture whilst mixing
6. Add all the grated apple to the mixture and the egg white mixture and mix well
7. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes at least
8. With a spoon make the doughnut shape and deep fry in oil until they turn brown
9. Place on paper to drain the oil and roll in crystal sugar and cinnamon powder before serving