“If you have a problem or a disagreement, offer them a kremšnita and everything is forgiven!” is a quote from the people of Samobor, where the Kremšnita is famous in Croatia.
Kremšnita, sometimes called Krempita, is a custard cream slice with a puff pastry base.
Check out this recipe.
Ingredients (serves 6)
Puff pastry – 250 g
Eggs – 6
Vanilla sugar – 7 g
Vanilla pudding – 1 packet
Corn starch – 3 tablespoons
Flour – 3 tablespoons
Sugar – 8 tablespoons
Icing sugar – 50 g
Milk – 1 litre
1. Divide the puff pastry, which should be at room temperature, into two equal parts. Roll both parts on a floured board to the size tin you will use for the Kremšnita
2. Both halves, one at a time, put in the oven at 220 °C and cook both sides until golden
3. In two separate bowls separate the whites from the yolks of the eggs. In the bowl with the egg yolks pour 200 ml of milk, stir well with a whisk and add in order the other ingredients (pudding powder, corn starch, sifted flour, vanilla sugar, and plain sugar) stirring constantly and making sure no lumps remain
4. Heat up in a pot 8 dl of milk, keep stirring whilst adding in the prepared mixture (above). Continue to keep stirring and cook a few minutes or until it thickens. Remove from heat
5. Now beat the egg whites then add to the hot cream mixture and fold in
6. Lay one of the puff pastry sheets into a dish. With the second puff pastry sheet cut it into the size you want the Kremšnita to be
7. Pour the cream mixture over the puff pastry and spread evenly. On top place the cut puff pastry
8. Let it cool and coat the top with icing sugar and serve
Check out the video instructions below: