Beef soup, or goveđa juha, is a popular starter in many Croatian homes and is go-to for many grandmas.
Simple, reasonably cheap and quick to make, this beef soup very tasty and healthy. The meat from the soup is then used for a meal, usually with a side of potatoes and salad.
Check this beef soup recipe out below.
Beef (with bone) – 750 g / 1.6 pounds
Water – 2 litres / 67 oz
Onion – 1
Carrots – 150 g / 0.33 pounds
Celery root – 200 g / 0.44 pounds
Parsley – 80 g / 0.17 pounds
Vermicelli/pasta – 60 g / 0.13 pounds
Pepper (granules – 1/2 teaspoon)
1. Put the beef in warm water on heat and wait for it to boil. When it boils add pepper, chopped carrots, celery, and parsley.
2. Chop the onion in half (keep the skin on) and fry in a pan and then add to the rest of the ingredients cooking with the beef in the pot (keep the skin on). Add vegeta, pepper and salt.
3. Cover and turn down to very low heat and let it cook slowly for around 2 hours.
4. When it is ready, take out the beef and vegetables (that can be served as a meal after the soup). Strain the rest of the soup through a sieve.
5. In some boiling water put in the vermicelli/noodles. Once ready take out and add to soup.
You can see the video instructions below.