Ćevapčići are probably the most barbecued of all the meats in Croatia…
Although not technically Croatian in origin, ćevapčići could almost be considered a national dish. There are not many places which do not include the popular meat dish on its menu, and there are not many BBQs done where at least a batch of ćevapčići are not put on.
There are a number of ways to enjoy ćevapčići, here is just one recipe which you can try at home.
Ingredients (4 people)
Beef – 500 g
Lamb – 160 g
Beef tallow – 100 g
Meat stock – 300 ml
Lepinja (flatbread) – 4
Onion – 2
1. Chop all the meat and tallow and put through the mincer. Add salt and mix with hands for a least 10 minutes. Put through the mincer again
2. Mix again with hands and cover and place in fridge overnight
3. Roll into ćevapi shape with the palm of your hands and start to fry in pan without any added oil
4. Pour the meat stock in a small bowl and dip the lepinja in the stock and place in pan with the ćevapi
5. Once cooked remove and serve the ćevapi on the lepinja with chopped onions on the side
Watch the video instructions below: