Fritule, or little Croatian doughnuts, are a popular sweet among Croatians all over the world.
They are commonly found at stands on the coast or at market stalls particularly over the festive period but are great any time of the year.
There are many ways to enjoy fritule, you can add apples, raisins or coat with chocolate sauce. Check out this recipe with apples.
Ingredients (serves 4)
Eggs – 3
Apple – 1
Lemon – 1
Sugar – 80 g
Vanilla sugar – 10 g
Milk – 170 ml
Butter – 60 g
Rum – 30 ml
Flour – 250 g
Baking powder – 12 g
Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
Crystal sugar – 150 g (for coating donuts)
Oil for frying
1. Separate the egg whites and yolk, peel the apple and grate them, then pour lemon juice on them so they don’t oxidize
2. In a bowl with the egg yolk add 1/3 of the crystal sugar and vanilla sugar and beat until smooth and creamy
3. In another bowl whisk the egg whites until they start to ‘foam’. Then add the rest of the crystal sugar and keep beating until it is compact
4. In the bowl with the egg yolks add the butter (softened) and mix it well until smooth. Then add the milk and rum and keep mixing
5. Slowly then add the flour (through a sieve) and baking powder to the mixture whilst mixing
6. Add all the grated apple to the mixture and the egg white mixture and mix well
7. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes at least
8. With a spoon make the donut shape and deep fry in oil until they turn brown
9. Place on paper to drain the oil and roll in crystal sugar and cinnamon powder before serving
Watch the video below for instructions.