Home » Sport » UEFA Champions League: Dinamo Zagreb 3-3 Shakhtar Donetsk

UEFA Champions League: Dinamo Zagreb 3-3 Shakhtar Donetsk

(Photo: HNS)

ZAGREB, 6 November 2019 – Dinamo Zagreb and Shakhtar Donetsk have drawn for the second time in a fortnight after their dramatic UEFA Champions League Group C clash on Wednesday night in Zagreb ended 3-3.

A debut goal from 20-year-old substitute Luka Ivanušec, and goals to captain Arijan Ademi and Croatian international Bruno Petković gave the hosts a 3-1 lead with only injury time remaining but Shakhtar would somehow come back and salvage a draw. 

The visitors started the match the aggressor, controlling possession in the opening quarter and it would be no surprise when they opened the scoring in the 13th minute. 

Alan Patrick threaded a pass through to Júnior Moraes before collecting the return and slotting it through Dinamo keeper Domagoj Livaković’s legs to make it 1-0.

The goal seemed to wake Dinamo up and they nearly would equalise minutes later when Petković brought the ball down unmarked in the box but his shot off balance would be saved. 

Dinamo did get a deserved equaliser in the 25th minute when Théophile-Catherine’s cross from the right was headed home by Petković. 

(Photo: HNS)

Dinamo looked the more likely to go ahead before the break but half chances to Ademi and Petković would be thwarted by the Shakhtar defence. 

As it was the case in the first leg, the cross bar would save Shakhtar. A counter attack from Dinamo saw Dani Olmo put through defender Marin Leovac in the 60th minute but his deflected shot would crash off the cross bar.  

Dinamo were forced to play the final 15 minutes with 10-men when midfielder Nikola Moro was sent off for a second bookable offence. Immediately the visitors took advantage and should have taken the lead but Livaković would save with his legs from a shot from point-blank range. 

Shakhtar would only enjoy 5 minutes with an extra man when Marlos was shown a second yellow card and was sent off.

Coach Nenad Bjelica brought on Ivanušec and in the 83rd minute, with his first goal for the club, he would put Dinamo in front when he collected a pass from Petković just outside the box, beat one defender and slot home to make it 2-1. 

Captain Ademi tapped in an Olmo cross to then make it 3-1 in the 90th minute and the fans at Maksimir stadium started to celebrate, but the drama was about to unfold.

The hosts pulled one back in the third minute of injury time through Moraes, and then were awarded a penalty in the final minute of injury time for a foul in the box after the referee went to VAR. Tete made no mistake from the spot in the 97th minute and both sides would share the points. 

“We deserved to win, we had the better chances and played a quality game. A point still keeps us in the race to advance from the group,” said coach Bjelica after the match. 

Remaining matches:

26.11 – Atalanta – Dinamo (21:00)
11.12 – Dinamo – Manchester City (18:55)

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts