Squid, a favourite on Croatian menus, can be prepared in a number of different ways. The most popular are usually fried, on the gill or stuffed.
Check out this squid stuffed with vegetables and pancetta recipe from Cro Chef, Almo Čatlak.
• Squid – 8
• Fennel – 100 g
• Carrots – 80 g
• Onion – 1/2
• Garlic – 3 cloves
• Toast Bread – 2
• Pancetta – 50 g
• Corn (optional) – 80g
• Thyme – 1/2 spoon (dried)
• Rosemary – 1 sprig (fresh)
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Grate the carrot, remove the crust from the bread and chop the soft, white part into cubes. Next finely chop the onion, pancetta, fennel and squid arms.
• Heat up 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onion, pancetta, fennel, carrot, crushed garlic, thyme and squid arms. Add salt and stir. Add the rosemary and fry on a low heat.
• After 4-5 minutes take out the rosemary branch and put the rest into a separate bowl.
• Add the canned corn and chopped bread and a bit of olive oil, pepper and mix well.
• Using this mixture, stuff the squids, but not completely as the squids will shrink during the cooking process. Close with toothpicks.
• Place the stuffed squids in a slightly greased pan and fry for 5-6 minutes, turn the squids and cook for the same time on the other side.
• The stuffed squids are now ready. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.