This year the eighth five-year term of the International Theological Commission, which began with the pontifical appointment of its Members in June 2009, will conclude. As is known, the International Theological Commission, instituted by the Servant of God Paul VI on 11 April 1969, has the task of assisting the Holy See, and in particular the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, in examining the most important and current doctrinal questions. The Commission is composed of theologians from various schools and nations, eminent for their scientific excellence and fidelity to the Magisterium of the Church. The Members – no more than thirty in number – are appointed by the Holy Father “ad quinquennium” upon proposal by the Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and following consultation with the Episcopal Conferences.
The members of the Commission for 2014-2019 are as follows:
– Fr. Serge Thomas BONINO, O.P., Secretary General, France.
– Fr. Terwase Henry AKAABIAM, Nigeria;
– Sr. Prudence ALLEN, R.S.M., United States of America;
– Sr Alenka ARKO, Loyola Community, Russian Federation – Slovenia;
– Msgr. Antonio Luiz CATELAN FERREIRA, Brazil;
– Msgr. Piero CODA, Italy;
– Fr. Lajos DOLHAI, Hungary;
– Fr. Peter DUBOVSKÝ, S.J., Slovakia;
– Fr. Mario Angel FLORES RAMOS, Mexico;
– Fr. Carlos María GALLI, Argentina;
– Fr. Krzysztof GÓŹDŹ, Poland;
– Fr. Gaby Alfred HACHEM, Lebanon;
– Fr. Thomas KOLLAMPARAMPIL, C.M.I., India;
– Fr. Koffi Messan Laurent KPOGO, Togo;
– Fr. Oswaldo MARTÍNEZ MENDOZA, Colombia;
– Professor Moira Mary McQUEEN, Canada – Great Britain;
– Fr. Karl Heinz MENKE, Germany;
– Fr. John Junyang PARK, Korea;
– Fr. Bernard POTTIER, S.J., Belgium;
– Fr. Javier PRADES LÓPEZ, Spain;
– Professor Tracey ROWLAND, Australia;
– Professor Héctor Gustavo SÁNCHEZ ROJAS, S.C.V., Perú;
– Professor Marianne SCHLOSSER, Austria – Germany;
– Fr. Nicholaus SEGEJA M’HELA, Tanzania;
– Fr. Pierangelo SEQUERI, Italy;
– Fr. Željko TANJIĆ, Croatia;
– Fr. Gerard Francisco P. TIMONER III, O.P., Philippines;
– Fr. Gabino URIBARRI BILBAO, S.I., Spain;
– Fr. Philippe VALLIN, France;
– Fr. Thomas G. WEINANDY, O.F.M.Cap., United States of America.
Pope Francis also renewed the five-year mandate of several previously serving members.