Home » News » Mandarins & Olive Oil Latest Croatian Products to Get EU Protection Status

Mandarins & Olive Oil Latest Croatian Products to Get EU Protection Status

PanoramaMandarins from the Neretva region and olive oil from the island of Cres are the latest Croatian products to receive EU geographical origin labels…

The Ministry of Agriculture have reported that EU Commission had registered Neretvanska mandarina (Neretva mandarins) and Ekstra djevicansko maslinovo ulje Cres (extra virgin olive oil Cres) in the register of protected designations of origin and protected geographical indications on Wednesday.

It has been a long process to get the products protection status. The application process for the Cres olive oil started in 2009. The production of Cres olive oil is limited to the island of Cres. 90% of the olives must be a specific species while the remaining 10% may be other olive species. What makes the olive oil unique is that the olive groves are cultivated with the help of grazing sheep, which stops weeds the spreading of weeds and helps keeps the soil moist.

Neretva mandarines are produced in the south of the country, in the Neretva Valley in the Dubrovacko-Neretvanska County, between the cities of Metkovic and Opuzen with around 80,000 tonnes of first class mandarins produced every season.

Share on:
0 / 5 (0 votes)

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts

Andrea Bocelli Confirms Zagreb Concert

Famous Italian tenor and singer-songwriter Andrea Bocelli has confirmed he will perform a concert in the Croatian capital Zagreb next year. Bocelli, who became blind at the age of twelve following a football accident, will perform at Zagreb’s Arena on 10 March 2018. The concert, which will mark International Women’s Day, will be Bocelli’s fourth...

Croatia Squad Named for FIFA World Cup Qualifier Against Ukraine

Croatia’s manager Ante Čačić has named his squad today for the important upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine and Estonia. Croatia face Ukraine at Zagreb’s Maksimir Stadium on 24 March 2017 with kick off at 20:45, and then face Estonia away on 28 March. Croatia’s Squad for Ukraine & Estonia: Goalkeepers: Danijel Subašić, Lovre...

10 Great Day Trips from the Croatian Capital Zagreb

By Iva Ralica There is lots to see and do in the beautiful Croatian capital city of Zagreb. But if you are wondering what you can see nearby, here are 10 interesting and fun day trip ideas: 1. Plitvice Lakes A great day trip from Zagreb is to go and see the UNESCO-protected Plitvice Lakes....

Therapy Dogs to Help Patients at Children’s Hospital in Zagreb

Having to go to hospital can be an upsetting time, especially for children. A children’s hospital in the Croatian capital of is trying to change that with the help of cute furry friends. Certified therapy dogs, who are trained to provide affection and comfort, will soon be helping patients at the Clinic for Children’s Diseases...

Leading Croatian Bakery Chain Opens in Frankfurt

  Croatia’s oldest and largest bakery chain has opened its first franchise outlet in the German city of Frankfurt. Mlinar, which has over 200 bakeries around the world, have opened its first store in Frankfurt this week at the city’s central bus station. The bakery in Frankfurt, branded Mlinar, is set out exactly the same...

8 Fantastic Day Trips From Split

By Iva Ralica What makes the Dalmatian city of Split so great for tourists, apart from the history and sights, is its fantastic location to conduct day trips. There are numerous cities, nature parks and islands you could visit for the day whilst staying in or travelling through Split. If you wish to experience more...