ZAGREB, May 25 (Hina) – As of Sunday, 68 days after recording the first case of COVID-19, Montenegro has no infected persons on its territory, becoming the first corona-free state in Europe, according to Public Health Institute data.
Montenegro has not had a new case for 20 days in a row. The Institute said 140 samples were tested over the past 24 hours and that none were positive as well as that “at this moment Montenegro has no active cases of infection with the novel coronavirus.”
Health authorities said earlier the epidemic would be declared over when there were no new cases for 28 days.
Montenegro was the last European country to confirm a COVID-19 case on March 17. Since then, 324 persons have become infected, 315 have recovered and nine have died. In 70 days of isolation, 1,768 persons were fined for breaching protection measures, paying €106,000 for charity.