ZAGREB, Aug 24 (Hina) – Tourism and Sports Minister Nikolina Brnjac said on Sunday that she was satisfied with this year’s tourist season, with tourist turnover standing at 50% of last year’s turnover, or 20% more than expected.
“According to our projections as well as those of the World Tourism Organisation, we should have been at 30% of last year’s result. But we are currently at 50% and realistically speaking, we can be satisfied with those figures,” Brnjac told reporters in the Istrian town of Barban, where she attended a local equestrian tournament.
She noted that neighbouring countries and other Mediterranean countries had seen a drop in tourist turnover of 70-80%.
Brnjac went on to say that all countries, including those that have put Croatia on the list of epidemiologically unsafe countries, followed the epidemiological situation and revised their measures every two weeks.
“Epidemiological measures need to be maintained so that the good figures we have had until now could continue. But we must be aware of the fact that in March, April, May and the first half of June we did not have the kind of tourist season we had expected,” Brnjac said, adding that she expected good tourism results to continue in September.
“We expect the season to continue, it is not over, but only if we have good epidemiological measures in place and good weather,” she said, adding that the epidemiological situation in Istria and Primorje-Gorski Kotar counties was very good, which was why they were having good results.
Asked how one should prepare for 2021, which would not be an easy year, Brnjac said that it was of the utmost importance to preserve jobs and stability in the tourist sector.
“Tourism has always been a branch of economy where the situation changes quickly and which adapts to those changes quickly. Making sure Croatia is recognisable as a safe destination that takes care of its guests, along with the continuation of good results, is what gives us the impetus for next year,” Brnjac said.