Salata od hobotnice, or octopus salad, is a great starter and is popular at lots of restaurants along the Croatian coast over summer.
There are a number of ways you can make an octopus salad and here just one method. If you can get your hands on some octopus then it is simple to make.
Octopus (½ – 1kg) – cleaned
Bay leaves – 2
Olive oil, salt, and pepper
Red wine vinegar
Onion – 1
Potatoes – 2
- In a large pot cover generously with water, the octopus and bay leaves. Add salt and pepper and the wine cork (which helps tenderise the octopus) to the water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until tender (around 20 minutes or so).
- In another pot boil the potatoes. Once they are done cut them into small cubes.
- Drain the octopus and clean the head. Cut the meat of the octopus into small pieces.
- Add the potatoes with the octopus and finely chop an onion and add.
- Dress the salad with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and parsley. Finish will a lemon wedge as garnish.