Palačinke or crepes are one of the most favourite after-dinner desserts in Croatia.
There are many, many recipes which work well and the beauty of the palačinke is the endless options of fillings which go well with them. From chocolate and ice cream, to jam, to lemon and sugar, everyone has their own favourite. Here is a quick and easy recipe if you are in the mood to making a batch of palačinke.
Flour (all-purpose) – 250 g
Milk – 350 ml
Eggs – 3
Mineral water – 1 decilitre
Salt – pinch
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Rum – half teaspoon
Filling of your choice
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until you get a thick homogeneous mixture. Gradually add milk and water, stirring to combine.
2. Then, stirring constantly with a whisk, pour the flour in and keep mixing. Add a pinch of salt and just enough rum to the mixture to give it some flavor, but also more importantly to prevent oil absorption.
3. Add a bit of mineral water to the mixture to dilute it to the correct consistency.
4. Heat a lightly oiled pan over medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the mixture forming the palačinka in the pan by tilting it. (around 1/4 cup mixture for each). Cook for around 2 minutes on both sides.
5. Spread your favourite filling and serve.