A lot of people who enjoy a long life say one of the secrets is to advise to eat as many meals as possible that need a spoon to eat, such as stews soups.
Croatians love their stews and soups and this delious octopus stew recipe by Fina Malinić is a great one to try.
Octopus – 1 kg
Olive Oil – 150 ml
Garlic – 3 cloves
Tomato puree – 700 g
Onion – 400 g
Origano – 1/2 teaspoon
Thyme – 1/2 teaspoon
Marjoram – 1/2 teaspoon
Rosemary – 1/2 teaspoon
Sage – 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
1. Cook the octopus in water with 3 wine corks (to help tenderise) for around 15 minutes (keep the liquid).
2. Chop the cooked octopus into small pieces.
3. Chop the onions and fry in olive oil – when they soften and turn golden brown add the chopped octopus and keep frying for around 5 minutes.
4. Add the capers and garlic and keep frying so garlic releases its aroma.
5. Add the tomato puree and spices and cook further on a lower heat.
6. After 10 minutes add a bit of broth (depending how thick you want it).
7. Keep cooking until the octopus is completely soft and serve with gnnochi.