Figs, or smokve, are now starting to ripen in Croatia and are ready to be picked. If you are lucky enough to pick more than you can eat then drying them and making jam is a great way to use them and enjoy the figs long into the winter.
There are many healthy, tasty fig jam recipes out there. Here are two recipes from fini recepti, one is with walnuts, the other without.
Figs (dried) – 450 g
Walnuts (chopped) – 2 tablespoons
Water – 1 litre
Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
Maraschino liqueur – 1 glass
1. Wash the figs, and then chop into small pieces – the smaller the better. Soak them in water overnight to soften.
2. In a pot melt sugar in a bit of water.
3. Add the figs and stir every now and then until the water evaporates.
4. When the jam is done pour out half into another bowl. The other half put back on the heat and add the maraschino liqueur and cinnamon and cook some more (3-4 minutes).
5. In the jam in the other bowl add the chopped walnuts and mix well.
6. Both jams are ready and should be kept in jars in a cool place.