Probably the most famous food to come out of the Dalmatian island of Vis is the pogača, which is a type of baked bread pie.
There are two versions, the Viška (Vis) pogača, which is filled with anchovies or salty fish and onions, and the Komiška (Komiža) pogača which also includes peeled tomatoes and has a more pizza-like feel.
You can make both versions using this recipe, just leave out the peeled tomatoes to get the Vis version.
Anchovies / salty fish – 200 g
Onion – 1
Peeled tomatoes – 100 g
Olives (black) – 50 g
Flour – 250 g
Yeast – 15 g
Parsley – 1 teaspoon chopped
1. Prepare the dough – similar like when making bread (mix flour, yeast, olive oil, warm water) cover with a tea towel and let sit for 30-40 minutes.
2. In a pan, fry the chopped onion in olive oil until soft and brown, then add the chopped peeled tomatoes. Add a bit parsley and pepper and when cooked take off heat.
3. On a board or bench top sprinkle flour. Cut the dough in half. Roll the halves into a thickness of about 1cm.
4. In the dish you will cook the pie in, grease with olive oil and place one-half of the dough.
5. Then place the anchovies evenly on the base. Add the onions and tomatoes which were prepared earlier evenly over the top of the fish. Add the olives and drizzle some more olive oil over it.
6. Use the other half of the dough to cover. Drizzle more olive oil on top.
7. Cook in the oven at 180°C for around 45 minutes.
8. Cut into squares and serve.