One of the world’s most popular travel magazines, Condé Nast Traveller, has named a castle in Croatia among its selection of the 12 Most Beautiful in Europe.
Europe has a rich history and is home to some magnificent castles. Condé Nast Traveller did find room in their list of the best 12 in Europe for the stunning 13th century Trakošćan castle, located in northern Croatia in the Varaždin County.
Trakošćan castle is one of the best preserved historic buildings in the country and is the only castle which has not had the interior changed from the original owner. Now owned by the Croatian state, Trakošćan was built as a rather small observation fortress for monitoring the road from Ptuj to Bednja Valley and owned by the Drašković family.
TOP 12 Most Beautiful Castles in Europe
1. Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany, 1886
2. Eilean Donan Castle, Scotland, 13th Century
3. Chenonceau Castle, France, 1430
4. Alcázar of Segovia, Spain, 12th Century
5. Bodiam Castle, England, 1385
6. Kylemore Abbey, Ireland, 1867
7. Egeskov Castle, Denmark, 1554
8. Hohenzollern Castle, Germany, 1454
9. Peleș Castle, Romania, 1883
10. Örebro Castle, Sweden, 1560
11. Trakošćan Castle, Croatia, 13th Century
12. Corvin Castle, Romania, 1446