13 March 2019 – The best pizza makers in Croatia have gathered for the 2019 Croatian pizza-making championships ‘Pizzaiola’ in Zagreb.
After regional qualifiers in Split, Osijek and Prelog, the finalists battled it out on Monday night. Each of the finalists had 15 minutes to create two pizzas – a Margherita and a pizza of their choice.
After the tasting, judges declared Mirko Perić, a pizza maestro from Basta gourmet bar in Zagreb, the new 2019 Croatian pizza-making champion.
According to the organisers, it was Perić’s own pizza creation, which including a topping of asparagus, roasted pumpkin, deer and goat cheese aromatised with rosemary, mozzarella and a Grana Padano cheese basket filled with dehydrated pumpkin.
In second place was Darijan Katalinić from Pizzeria Chello in Zagreb, whilst Dejan Pušelj, form pizzeria Lipov Hlad in Osijek was third.
The competition, which was organised by the Croatian Culinary Federation and Croatian Pizza-Making Association, was held at O’Hara’s in Zagreb.
2019 Croatian pizza-making championships ‘Pizzaiola’
1. Mirko Perić, Basta gourmet bar Zagreb
2. Darijan Katalinić, Pizzeria Chello, Zagreb
3. Dejan Pušelj, Pizzeria Lipov Hlad, Osijek
4. Romano Seferović, Pizzeria Buffalo, Vodnjan
5. Milan Vatavuk, Mano Artisanal, Split
6. Ivan Kavelj, Pizzeria Chello, Zagreb
7. Ivan Glibo, Basta gourmet bar, Zagreb
8. Boris Dominiković, Pizzeria LIpov Hlad, Osijek
9. Ivan Korent, D.G. Sport, Prelog
10. Suzana Zrimić, Kuća dida Tunje, Oprisavci