Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Goveđa Juha (Beef Soup)
Goveđa Juha (Beef Soup) is a favourite dish of the typical Croatian grandma. Simple, reasonably cheap and quick yet very tasty and healthy. The meat from the soup is then used for a meal with a side of potatoes and salad.
Beef (with bone)- 750 g
Water – 2 litres
Onion – 1
Carrots – 150 g
Celery root – 200 g
Parsley – 80 g
Vermicelli/pasta – 60 g
Pepper (granules – 1/2 teaspoon)
1. Put the beef in warm water on heat and wait for it to boil. When it boils add pepper, chopped carrots, celery and parsley.
2. Chop the onion in half (keep skin on) and fry in a pan and then add to the rest of the ingredients cooking with the beef in the pot (keep skin on). Add pepper and salt.
3. Cover and turn down to very low heat and let it cook slowly for around 2 hours.
4. When it is ready take out the beef and vegetables (that can be served as a meal after the soup). Strain the rest of the soup through a sieve.
5. In some boiling water put in the Vermicelli/pasta. Once ready take out and add to soup.
You can see the video instructions below.
The original recipe in Croatian can be found here.
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes – Pinca – Traditional Easter Bread
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Crni Rižot (Black Risotto)
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Krafne s Marmeladom
- [VIDEO] New Year’s Recipe: Francuska Salata – Olivier Salad
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Brudet od Bakalara
- Croatian Recipes: Ćevapi
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Soparnik – Dalmatian Swiss Chard Pizza Pie