Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Pinca – Traditional Easter Roll
Pinca, also known as sirnica or Easter bread, is a traditional Dalmatian sweet roll. Today it has spread and is popular all over Croatia. You can buy them in the ships around Easter but nothing better than homemade.
All purpose Flour – 1 kg
Yeast – 40 g
Butter – 200 g
Sugar – 200 g
Vanilla sugar – 200 g
Egg yolks – 6
Milk – 500 ml
Rum – shot
Rakija (fruit brandy)- shot
1. Add teaspoon of sugar, flour, and yeast to warm milk and set aside for 15 minutes to rise.
2. Put in a bigger bowl and add to it the rest of the flour and mix, Keep beating and add milk, melted butter, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt.
3. Add the rum, rakija, grated lemon and orange skin and then mix again. Mix well to produce a firm dough until the surface becomes smooth. Put the dough in a floured bowl, cover with a cloth and let it rise at least 8-10 hours or overnight.
4. Place the ready dough onto a floured board and cut into 3 even pieces. Shape them into round balls and place individually on a baking sheet and leave again to rise.
5. Brush with egg yolk, and crush a cube of sugar and sprinkle over the top. Make 3 deep cuts (from centre to edge).
6. Put in heated over on 200°C for 30 minutes.
Check out the video below:
The original recipe in Croatian can be seen here.