For the first time ever, TripAdvisor has announced the Traveller’s Choice list of the best national parks in Europe.
On the list of the best of the best national parks in Europe was one in Croatia – the UNESCO-protected Plitvice Lakes.
“The bubbling, turquoise crystalline pools of Plitvice Lakes National Park comprise one of Croatia’s most popular tourist destinations. Just a two-hour drive from Zagreb, the national park offers 50 acres of forest and lake. In winter, it’s a wonderland of frozen waterfalls. In summer, the park is lush with greenery. Wooden walkways and hiking trails traverse the porous karst limestone. This World Heritage Site is a veritable wildlife haven, home to everything from birds to boars and even bears,” TripAdvisor writes.
This was the year travellers sought out spacious skies and sprawling plains, and according to TripAdvisor voters, these national parks delivered.
Best National Parks – Europe
- Yorkshire Dales National Park – UK
- Vatnajokull National Park – Iceland
- Plitvice Lakes National Park – Croatia
- Peak District National Park – UK
- New Forrest National Park – UK
- Sierra de Grazalema – Spain
- Sierra Nevada – Spain
- Uludag National Park – Turkey
- Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche Natural Park – Spain
- Cilento and Vallo di Diano National Park – Italy