Home » News » “KvarnerExtrem” to monitor weather, send emergency alerts to local population

“KvarnerExtrem” to monitor weather, send emergency alerts to local population

"KvarnerExtrem" to monitor weather, send emergency alerts to local population

“KvarnerExtrem” to monitor weather, send emergency alerts to local population

ZAGREB, 18 Jan (Hina) – The €64,000 KvarnerExtrem project for monitoring extreme weather events  and sending real-time emergency alerts to local inhabitants, notably farmers in the Croatian coastal area of Kvarner, is nearing completion.

The lion’s share (85%) of the funding has been ensured from the European Social Fund, and the remaining 15% has been covered by the Croatian state’s budget.

The project is about a new system of measuring instruments and mobile applications that monitor weather conditions and send information about hailstorms and heavy precipitation that can cause havoc in the farm sector and transport.

The system should make it easier for local farmers to prove damage caused by natural disasters.

Emergency alerts can help reduce risk of accidents in transport. The project also has a scientific function.

The project is being conducted by the Croatian Meteorological Society (HMD) in cooperation with the partner “Eko Kvarner” NGO.

The HMD head, Vesna Đuričić, has told Hina that measuring instruments were already set up at seven locations: on the islands of Krk, Cres, Rab and Pag and in he coastal city of Novi Vinodolski.

The data collected by those instruments will be made public.

Share on:

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts