Home » News » Important to mark 25th anniversary of Operation Storm with dignity, minister says

Important to mark 25th anniversary of Operation Storm with dignity, minister says

Knin (Photo credit: Roberta F./Creative Commons 3.0 license) Creative Commons 3.0 license)

ZAGREB, Aug 3 (Hina) – Minister Tomo Medved on Monday said he was glad the entire government would be in Knin, which is a strong message that “calls on everyone to have a united approach aimed at creating an atmosphere of normalisation and closure of many chapters that, in a certain way, burden Croatian society.”

Veterans’ Affairs Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Tomo Medved attended the opening of an exhibition of photographs in Rijeka entitled “25 years later” as part of the 25th anniversary of the Storm military operation.

“Croatian Veterans’ Day is the day in the year that the entire society stops for a moment to recall the defenders who were prepared to sacrifice their lives for the freedom of the homeland. We show our respect to all those who contributed so that we can have an independent and sovereign Croatia and together create a prosperous and even better Croatia,” said Minister Medved.

He underscored that he was proud of the cooperation with all Homeland War associations from Rijeka and Primorje-Gorski Kotar County. “Croatia has achieved the majority of its strategic objectives and let’s be proud of what we have done as a nation,” Minister Medved said and called for new challenges that life brings to be accepted with optimism like Homeland War defenders did.

Important to mark 25th anniversary of Operation Storm with dignity

Medved reiterated that the message he wishes to send by attending the commemoration in Grubori is that now the most important thing is to mark the 25th anniversary of Operation Storm in a dignified manner and that later commemorations and activities will be discussed after that.

“We all know what the summer and autumn time brought Croatia, how much suffering and commemorations are ahead of us. As we have done so far, we will pay our respects with dignity both to Croatian defenders who died and to all the civilian victims,” he said and added that now “we are concentrating on remembering those courageous defenders, the days of pride and glory.”

We will mark the anniversary of Operation Storm on August 5 with dignity with the main programme in Knin as well as in other counties, cities and municipalities, which pleases us. The celebration will be different due to measures related to the coronavirus pandemic and foremost to protect the lives and health of citizens, Medved said.

Asked what deputy prime minister Boris Milosevic’s attendance at the anniversary of Storm in Knin means, Medved reiterated that he was glad that the entire government would be there. “That is a strong message that calls on everyone to have a united approach, aimed at creating an atmosphere of normalisation and closure of many chapters that, in a certain way, burden Croatian society,” he said.

Share on:

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts