Viška pogača, or pogača from the island of Vis, is a type of baked bread pie, similar to focaccia filled with anchovies or salty fish, onions and depending on which part of the island, tomatoes.
Check out the recipe below.
Anchovies / salty fish – 200 g
Onion – 1
Peeled tomatoes – 100 g
Olives (black) – 50 g
Flour – 250 g
Yeast – 1 pk
Rosemary – 1 teaspoon chopped
1. Prepare dough – similar like for bread (mix flour, yeast, olive oil, warm water, finely chopped rosemary) and let sit for 30-40 minutes.
2. In a pan (with olive oil) fry the chopped onion until soft and brown, then add the chopped peeled tomatoes. Add a bit of pepper and when cooked take off heat.
3. On a board or bench top sprinkle flour. Cut the dough in half. Roll the halves into a thickness of about 1cm.
4. In the dish, you will cook the pie in grease with olive oil and place one-half of the dough.
5. Then place the anchovies evenly on the base. Add the onions and tomatoes which were prepared earlier evenly over the top of the fish. Add the olives and sprinkle some more olive oil over.
6. Use the other half of the dough to cover. Sprinkle more olive oil on top.
7. Cook in the oven at 180°C for around 45 minutes.