The boy was in the bay of Maslinica on the island when he was bitten on the foot by the horned viper. The boy’s parents rushed him by boat to seek medical attention and he was then quickly sent by helicopter to Split hospital. The youngster, who was starting to take a turn for the worst, was given an antidote by medical staff on board the helicopter. He was in a critical condition when he arrived but is now stable thanks to some quick work by the medical team.
The Vipera ammodytes (Poskok in Croatian or horned viper) is a venomous viper species found in southern Europe through to the Balkans and parts of the Middle East. It is reputed to be the most dangerous of the European vipers due to its large size, long fangs and high venom toxicity.