ZAGREB, July 9 (Hina) – Year to date, Croatia’s tourism has achieved around 52% of the turnover in the same period last year, which is more than expected and currently there are 467,000 tourists in Croatia, Tourism Minister Gari Cappelli told a cabinet meeting on Thursday.
Commenting on the current situation in tourism after being requested to do so by the prime minister, Cappelli underlined that Croatia does not have one infected tourist and that the concentration of tourists is highest in two Adriatic counties – Istria and Primorje-Gorski Kotar – where there are 250,000 tourists or about half of all the tourists currently in the country.
“There are practically no problems as far as COVID-19 is concerned and all destinations and facilities are taking care of safety measures. It is important to note that we currently have only 10% fewer German tourists than we did last year,” said Cappelli.
Commenting on tourism turnover since the beginning of the year compared to the corresponding period last year, Cappelli said that “we could not have expected that result, but considering safety and everything that is going on, that is encouraging and optimistic data.”
Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said that the protection and safety of tourists and the local community against COVID-19 but also reactivation of the economy requires adhering to the “hdd rule” – hygiene, disinfection, distance, adding “the more cautious we are the less infection and its consequences there will be.”
He called once again for responsibility and for “the minimum of self-discipline that will resolve a lot of hardship.”