This meat pie is a tasty alternative to the famous burek, which is one of the most popular foods in the region.
All you need to make this faux burek, based on the recipe of top Croatian chef Almo Čatlak, is some minced meat, filo pastry, tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic and a red pepper.
Beef (minced) – 250 g
Filo pastry – 500 g
Onion – 1
Garlic – 1 clove
Cherry tomatoes – 150 g
Tomato concentrate – 30 g
Egg – 1
1. Dice the onion, celery and red pepper. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters. Whisk the egg.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the chopped onion, celery, and red pepper. Add the garlic (crushed), salt and pepper and fry on a medium/hot heat until vegetables are soft.
3. Now add the minced meat. Break down the meat by stirring with the fork. Once it cooks for 2-3 minutes and releases juices add the tomato concentrate and keep mixing.
4. Add the cherry tomatoes and mix. Add more salt and pepper to taste. After 20 minutes the meat is cooked. Let it cool.
5. Lay out the sheets of filo pastry on a bench. Paste the top sheet of filo pastry with a mix of water and oil.
6. Put the minced meat filling onto the sheet of pastry. Now take the top 3 sheets of pastry (filled meat one on top) and roll up. (Repeat again with rest of ingredients).
7. Place the rolled up pastry filled with meat on a tray lined with baking paper. Paste the pastry with water/oil wash. Then paste with egg wash.
8. Bake in the oven at 190°C for around 30 minutes.