[VIDEO] Croatian Recipes – Šunka u Kruhu (Ham in Bread)
- by croatiaweek
- in Food & Wine
Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Šunka u kruhu
Šunka u kruhu, or ham in bread, is a traditional Croatian Easter dish.
Ham (cooked) – 1kg
Flour – 500 g
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Butter – 200 g
Milk – 200 mls
Eggs – 6
Egg yolk – 1
1. In a clean bowl sieve the flour – add the yeast, sugar, salt, melted butter, warm milk and eggs and mix together. Then use a beater to mix well.
2. Place the dough in a dish (make sure the surface is sprinkled with flour), cover and leave at room temperature for 45 minutes.
3. Cut the skin off the ham.
4. Grease a tray with some fat and sprinkle flour on top. Put the dough on top and then place the ham on top of the dough. Paste the ham with an egg yolk and sprinkle with flour.
5. Now wrap the ham in the dough. Place in a pre-heated oven (180°C) and then cook for around one hour.
6. Once it is cooked you can cut and serve.
(so it does not burn you can cover the top part with foil)
Check out the video, with English subtitles below:
The recipe in Croatian can be found here.