Špek fileki (tripice) is just one recipe to prepare tripe. In the past the dish was popular only among the poor, but today it is on the menu at a number of top restaurants as its popularity has increased. People often think that tripe from cattle’s intestines, but these are actually edible slices from the lining of the cow’s stomach. Check out this tripe recipe which includes špek (pancetta).
Tripe (half-cooked)- 1 kg
Pancetta – 200 g
Onions – 200 g
Carrots, Celery – 200g
Fresh Paprika – 50 g
Potatoes – 200 g
Tomato concentrate – 1 tablespoon
Flour – 2 tablespoons
Garlic – 3 cloves
Lemon – 1/2
Parsley – 1 tablespoon
1. In a pan heat oil and fry the diced pancetta. Add the diced onions and fry until soft.
2. In a blender mix carrots, celery and paprika. Once blended add to the pancetta and onions and keep frying.
3. Add the tripe to the pan with the vegetable mix, pancetta and onions and mix well. Add some salt, tomato concentrate, flour and keep frying and stirring.
4. Add the diced cooked potatoes and stir before adding water (enough to cover). Leave cook for around half an hour.
5. Add the juice of half a lemon and cook for a few extra minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top as well as grated parmesan cheese and serve.
Check out the video below.