This tasty sour cherry strudel recipe is courtesy of Crochef from Fini Recepti.
Using tinned or frozen cherries are fine. It’s simple to make and tastes great served with cream or custard or on its own.
Sour cherries – 1.5 kg
Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
Vanilla sugar – 1 packet
Brown sugar – 300 g
Breadcrumbs – 50 g
Oil – 150 ml
Milk – 150 ml
1. If using fresh cherries wash them and take out the pips. Place cherries in a bowl and add the icing sugar, vanilla sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon and carefully mix.
2. In another bowl mix oil and milk and then brush the filo pastry with the mixture.
3. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the mixture on the pastry then add the cherries.
4. Roll the pastry (2 sheets thick) into the strudel shape. If pastry is thick then only 1 layer needed.
5. Place in a greased tray and again brush the pastry with the oil and milk mixture.
6. Place in heated oven for 25-30 minutes on 180°C.
7. Once ready let it cool and sprinkle with icing sugar on top.
Check out video instructions below: