Croatia Week have teamed up with Fini Recepti to bring you your favourite Croatian recipes in English…
Croatian TV chef Almo Čatlak this year completed 10 years of his cooking show ‘TV-kuhanja’ (TV-cooking). Čatlak’s show, which shows viewers how to prepare a meal from start to finish in a 3-4 minute clip, was broadcast on Croatian TV for the past decade. In that period Čatlak has produced over 2,000 videos.
Pogača Filled With Salty Fish, Onions & Tomatoes
Pogača is a type of baked bread, similar to focaccia. It can be leavened or unleavened, while the pastry with yeast is easier to make. It can also be made from white flour, whole-wheat flour, or a mix. This type of Pogača filled with salty fish is a specialty on the island of Vis.
Sardines/Anchovies (salty) – 200 g
Onion – 1
Peeled tomatoes – 100 g
Olives (black) – 50 g
Flour – 250 g
Yeast – 1 pk
Rosemary – 1 teaspoon chopped
1. Prepare dough – similar like for bread (mix flour, yeast, olive oil, warm water, finely chopped rosemary) and let sit for 30-40 minutes.
2. In a pan (with olive oil) fry the finely chopped onion until soft and brown, then add the chopped peeled tomatoes. Add a bit of pepper and when cooked take off heat.
3. On a board or bench top sprinkle flour. Cut the dough in half. Roll the halves into a thickness of about 1cm.
4. In the dish you will cook the pie in grease with olive oil and place one half of the dough.
5. Then place the sardines/anchovies evenly on the base. Add the onions and tomatoes which were prepared earlier evenly over the top of the fish. Add the olives and sprinkle some more olive oil over.
6. Use the other half of the dough to cover. (option you can put some more sardines/anchovies on top for decoration). Sprinkle more olive oil on top.
7. Cook in the oven on 180°C for around 45 minutes.
Check out the video instructions below:
You can see the original recipe in Croatian here.